Category : Dick Nieuwendyk

W.W. Ogilvie Building

William Watson Ogilvie was the youngest of three brothers who had taken over ownership of the mills, from their father Alexander and their uncle William Watson Ogilvie and significantly expanded them, using the latest milling technology, which was invented and ...

Read More

Saint-Sulpice Library

The Saint-Sulpice Library was designed by architect Eugène Payette and constructed between 1912 and 1914 at the request of the Sulpician priests to serve as a University Library for researchers, students and for the education of Montreal’s youth while supporting ...

Read More

Royal Victoria Hospital

The Royal Victoria Hospital was established in 1893 through donations by two Scottish immigrants, Donald Smith, 1st Lord Strathcona, and his cousin George Stephen, 1st Lord Mount Stephen, who made their fortunes as businessmen, co-founding the Canadian Pacific Railway among ...

Read More

Théâtre Outremont

  In 1928, Fred Trudeau, a building contractor, and resident of Outremont, bought land and commissioned Montreal architect René Charbonneau to design and build the Outremont Theatre. With its early Art Deco exterior and its rich interior, it is a fine ...

Read More

Ouimetoscope

By: Dick Nieuwendyk – mtltimes.ca   On January 1, 1906, opened the Ouimetoscope at the corner of St. Catherine and Montcalm Streets, in Montreal, the  first theatre in the  world dedicated exclusively to the showing of movies.   Fascinated with the film industry, and ...

Read More

George-Etienne Cartier Monument

By: Dick Nieuwendyk – mtltimes.ca   The George-Etienne Cartier Monument was designed by Canadian sculptor Georges William Hill in collaboration with architects Edward and William S. Maxwell and sculptor Joseph Brunet. It was built in honour of Sir George-Étienne Cartier, a French-Canadian politician, and ...

Read More