Category : Montreal Then & Now

A series of articles by Dick Nieuwendyk highlighting the evolution of Montreal architecture.

Maison du Pressoir

Located in the village of Sault-au-Recollet, the Maison du Pressoir was constructed in 1806  as an agricultural building by Didier Joubert, a  miller, on land granted by the Sulpicians, who were the appointed Lords and owners of the island of ...

Read More

Victoria School

  The former Victoria School was built in 1887 as an elementary school for Protestant students in Montreal by architects Alexander Cowper Hutchison and Alexander Denton Steele. The Victorian style building with its  red-brick exterior, mansard roof and many gables was ...

Read More

Windsor Station

The four-story gray limestone structure at the corner of De La Gauchetière and Peel streets is Windsor Station, originally known as the Windsor Street Station, named for its location on Windsor Street (today Peel Street).   The station was built between 1887 ...

Read More

Park Avenue YMCA

In 1851, seven years after the founding of the Young Men’s Christian Association in London in 1844 by George Williams, a draper, the first branch of the Montreal YMCA was established.   Williams and his colleagues were concerned about the  lack of ...

Read More