Hit enter after type your search item

Montreal Then & Now

A series of articles by Dick Nieuwendyk highlighting the evolution of Montreal architecture.

img

Maison du Pressoir

In Montreal Then & Now
|
On December 14, 2016
Located in the village of Sault-au-Recollet, the Maison du Pressoir was constructed in 1806  as an agricultural building by Didier Joubert, a  miller, on land granted by the Sulpicians, who were the appointed Lords and owners of the island of Montreal. It was a wooden...

Victoria School

On December 2, 2016

  The former Victoria School was built in 1887 as an elementary school for Protestant students in Montreal by architects Alexander Cowper Hutchison and Alexander Denton Steele. The Victorian style.

img

Windsor Station

In Montreal Then & Now
|
On November 19, 2016
The four-story gray limestone structure at the corner of De La Gauchetière and Peel streets is Windsor Station, originally known as the Windsor Street Station, named for its location on Windsor Street (today Peel Street).   [caption id="attachment_33705" align="alignright" width="300"] Windsor Station - ca 1900...
img
William Watson Ogilvie was the youngest of three brothers who had taken over ownership of the mills, from their father Alexander and their uncle William Watson Ogilvie and significantly expanded them, using the latest milling technology, which was invented and developed in Hungary. William W....
img
The Royal Victoria Hospital was established in 1893 through donations by two Scottish immigrants, Donald Smith, 1st Lord Strathcona, and his cousin George Stephen, 1st Lord Mount Stephen, who made their fortunes as businessmen, co-founding the Canadian Pacific Railway among other ventures.   [caption id="attachment_32863"...
img

Ouimetoscope

In Montreal Then & Now
|
On September 8, 2016
By: Dick Nieuwendyk – mtltimes.ca   On January 1, 1906, opened the Ouimetoscope at the corner of St. Catherine and Montcalm Streets, in Montreal, the  first theatre in the  world dedicated exclusively to the showing of movies.   [caption id="attachment_32257" align="alignright" width="276"] Ouimetoscope ca 1908[/caption]...
img

Montreal Pharmacy

In Montreal Then & Now
|
On August 18, 2016
By: Dick Nieuwendyk – mtltimes.ca   Charles Edouard Duquette, founder of what was going to be the "Pharmacy Montreal", interrupted his studies in pharmacy to participate in the First World War of 1914-1918, when he treated sick and wounded soldiers on ships making the London-New...
This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar
Ad Clicks :Ad Views : Ad Clicks :Ad Views :