Kemetic Yoga in NDG
By: Kassandra Kernisan – mtltimes.ca
Kemetic Yoga is the Ancient Egyptian system of breath, movement and meditation that was practiced in order to unite one with his/her divine self or higher consciousness. Originally, this practice was referred to as Smai Tawi, meaning “union of the two lands” and metaphorically meaning union with the divine.
For the Ancient Egyptians, Smai Tawi was incorporated in their holistic lifestyle. They lived as part of a self-regulating, balanced, harmonious system based on the tenets of Ma’at. Ma’at represents the underlying divine order to all things in the universe. One who is able to live in alignment with this order is able to master oneself, elevate consciousness and access divine energies for enlightenment and peace.
Although this is an ancient philosophy and practice, Kemetic Yoga is very important and very relevant to today’s world. The modern version of this healing system was developed from primary research conducted by Dr. Asar Hapi and Master Yirser Ra Hotep (Elvrid Lawrence), who coined the term Kemetic Yoga, back in the 1970s. This is a system that if practiced correctly and consistently can bring balance and order back to a world that is full of chaos. This practice can help to bring back the feminine principles of connection to all things, oneness, harmony and feeling to balance out the more masculine aspects of individuality, separateness, aggression and thinking that are currently taking too much weight in today’s world. Kemetic Yoga is a way to restore balance and order to a tumultuous, destructive world.
Benefits of Kemetic Yoga:
- Increased strength, flexibility and mobility
- Improved Posture
- Protection from joint damage and bone deterioration
- Increased blood circulation
- Optimal functioning of organs
- Balanced hormonal system
- Increased energy levels
- Clearer and sharper thinking
- Improved mood
- Elimination of stress, tension and anxiety
- Clear sense of self and purpose
- Increased productivity
- Increased creativity
- Greater intuition and clarity
- Greater ability to use the mind to manifest what you want in life
- Increased connection to others
- Increased connection to all of nature
- Peace of mind
- True sense of happiness that comes from within and is not based on external factors
- Cultivation of acceptance, self-love and unconditional love for others
Kassandra Kernisan is a certified Naturopath, Holistic Health Coach, Yoga Instructor and Entrepreneur. She is the founder of Studio Alkemy Yoga & Wellness located at 4978A Queen Mary, Montreal, H3W 1X2.