By: Dick Nieuwendyk – mtltimes.ca
The large residence on 1240 Lakeshore Drive in Dorval was built in 1922 for Arthur H. Scott, a tea merchant
The house, which was known as the Minnie Davis House stands on land that was granted in the early 1700’s to Pierre Picoté Bélestre, and sold in the mid 1800’s to Placide Allard, a farmer. Arthur H. Scott married Minnie Louise Davis in 1892 in Aylmer, ON. They moved to Montreal in 1893 and lived on 36 St. Paul St. east, where their first child Howard Elliot Scott was born.
A few years later the family moved to Chemin de la Côte St. Antoine in Westmount. Business was good and Arthur decided to have a house built in Dorval as the family’s summer residence. He contracted Percy Knobbs, a renowned Montreal architect, and professor of architecture at McGill University, to design and build his summer home in the traditional French Canadian architecture he liked, a style used frequently at the time between the two world wars. Minnie Davis died in 1923 and is buried in the Elliot family grave at Toronto’s Necropolis Cemetery. (Mary Elliot was Arthur H. Scott’s mother).
After Arthur Scott died in 1939, Alexis Louis Nihon, a Belgianborn Canadian inventor and businessman, became owner of the property. Alexis Nihon was the founder and president of the Industrial Glass Works Company Ltd, located in Saint-Laurent. In 1946 he started the Alexis Nihon Corporation
which became one of the largest real estate businesses in Canada. After Alexis died in 1980 in the Bahamas, his son Robert became the owner of the mansion. Over the years several modifications have been made. In 2005 an addition, to be used as an office, was constructed to the west side of the house.
The Minnie Davis House is located at 1240 Lakeshore Road, Dorval