Iceburg lettuce-beet salad with vinaigrette dressing – Lettuce is a wonder food that should be in all of our refrigerators. One of my favourite is the iceberg lettuce. On a hot, humid day, it is my go to food because of its high water content. When I want extra hydration, I add an Iceberg lettuce to my menu for the day. This is one of my favourite and simple salad recipes:
Iceburg lettuce-beet salad with vinaigrette dressing ingredients:
- One small iceberg lettuce
- Two yellow beets
- Two red beets
- 4 radishes
- Half red pepper
- Half yellow pepper
1) How to prepare the vinaigrette
• Very simple; Place all the ingredients into a mason jar, seal the jar and shake ingredients together. (Note: if you have any leftover after use, keep it in the fridge)
2) How to prepare the beets and peppers: Make sure the iceberg lettuce is washed clean, cut lettuce in half, placed in serving bowl and set aside.
Cooking the beets (make sure you use to separate pots), cook 10 – 15 minutes in hot water, drain boiling water and fill pot with cold water with beets to cool then down.
When cooled down peel and slice beets in thin mandolin slices. (make sure to keep the red and yellow beets separated).
Cut the peppers into long thin slices (Julianne style).
Slice radishes into thin medallions.
3) To Assemble
• Carefully place the beets onto the side of a large circular plate, alternating the beet colour and overlapping each beet by half with the next beet (please refer to photo of the completed salad plate).
• Break the iceberg lettuce into small pieces and place the iceberg lettuce pieces in the centre of the plate surrounded by the colourful beets.
Place the radishes and Julianne cut peppers on top of the iceberg lettuce. Pour the desired amount of vinaigrette over your salad and enjoy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram for his daily recipe and plated photo posts. https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz