5 tips for healthier grocery shopping
Healthier grocery shopping – Eating well starts at the grocery store. It’s much easier to prepare healthier meals and snacks when your kitchen is stocked with healthier ingredients. But with thousands of products to choose from, buying nutritious foods can be a challenge. Follow these 5 tips for healthier grocery shopping to make tasty and nutritious food choices for you and your family:
1. Plan healthy meals and snacks. Think about your family’s schedule. Planning quick and easy meals ahead of time could be the answer to a busy week filled with sports and other activities, without falling into the trap of eating unhealthy convenience foods and snacks.
2. Write a grocery list. Writing a grocery list before going to the store will save you time and money and help you shop only for the foods you need.
3. Think about what goes in your cart. Include a variety of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and protein-rich foods in your grocery cart.
4. Use the food label. Read the information on the food label to make informed choices. Choose products that are lower in sugars, saturated fats and sodium. Remember, 5per cent Daily Value is a little, 15per cent is a lot.
5. Check out serving sizes on the Nutrition Facts table. The nutrition information in the Nutrition Facts table is based on the specific serving size listed. If you’re comparing different products to find the healthier choice, be sure that the serving sizes on both products are similar.