The Bahamas – We had almost (shame on us!) forgotten about the Bahamas before Baha Mar debuted a $4.2 billion integrated resort development project last year on the North Shore of New Providence. Indeed, it has been a while since Nassau had received so much attention. But, once there, you soon realize that you should have gone sooner. With direct and affordable flights from Montreal, 320 days of sunshine per year, pristine beaches and crystal-clear water, the Bahamas are definitely a great choice when it comes to beach vacation. The quality of what you will find at this destination is hard to beat: the hotels, spas, restaurants, facilities and beaches are absolutely world class.
Today, just a little over a year after the Baha Mar project launched, it is now 100% completed and offers : three luxurious hotels ( Grant Hyatt, SLS Baha Mar, Rosewood), more than 40 restaurants and bars, a nightclub, a marina, a professional golf course, the largest casino in the Caribbean, a gigantic first-class spa and a wildlife sanctuary. It wanted to become the new and luxurious way to vacation in the Bahamas… and now it is, without a doubt.
With three spectacular brand new hotels, each offering their own unique style of luxury, it is very interesting to be able to choose which property and ambiance suits you best without having to compromise on the facilities offerings. While Grand Hyatt ( 1800 rooms divided into 3 buildings) is considered the most “mainstream” luxury resort and Rosewood the most exclusive (237 ultra-luxurious rooms and one secluded tower), SLS offers an interesting in between. With 299 bold and opulent guest rooms, an outstanding restaurant offer, two trendy pools and a “boutique hotel with a lot of character” atmosphere, SLS Baha Mar, the newest and first international property of the SLS brand, is difficult to forget.
What makes SLS Baha Mar so great
– The impressive guest rooms
The guest rooms are a great feature of this hotel because all 299 of them are interesting. They each feature floor-to-ceiling windows, they all have balconies that offer ocean or beach views, and every one of them is decorated with style and panache, reflecting the strong identity of the SLS brand. Enjoy plush SLS signature robes and slippers, and custom upscale Ciel Reserve bath amenities in every room and extra-comfy all-white bedding.
– The outstanding restaurant offer
SLS Baha Mar brought famed international chefs to the Bahamas, with world class dining outlets on site including Cleo Mediterráneo, Katsuya by Starck, and Fi’lia by Michael Schwartz. The main bar, Monkey Bar, is where you want to be on Friday night in Nassau, and Bond nightclub is already the finest nightclub on the island.
– The impressive ESPA
ESPA is definitely in its own category and is an absolute must if you visit SLS Baha Mar. Offering 30,000 square feet of pure luxury, the spa features 24 luxurious treatment rooms, saunas and steam rooms, relaxation zones, and experience showers. The “Relax” outdoor terrace offers prime ocean views and plush lounge chairs where you can unwind before or after your first-class spa treatment.
– The gorgeous Signature Pool
The picture-perfect Signature Pool is the main attraction at SLS Baha Mar. With its signature white and black striped cabanas, pastel lounge chairs, and iconic bar, it is absolutely gorgeous. This happening pool is where everything happens and it is definitely where you will want to be, enjoying cocktails and a light pool-bar menu while having fun in the sun. Don’t forget to drop by the new food trucks “alley” that is located at the beach entrance if you are not sure on what to eat.
What to do while in Nassau
If you visit Nassau and want to explore outside the resort, here is where you will want to go to get a taste of the first Bahamian island.
– Unwind on the finest beaches – Take a stroll on Cable Beach, one of the finest beaches in Nassau and practice snorkeling, water sports, or sunbathing, your choice.
– Practice your golf swing – Designed by the legendary “Golden Bear” himself, Jack Nicklaus, the Royal Blue Golf Course was named “best new gold course of 2017” by Forbes, features 18 holes unfolding over a gorgeous and lush landscape.
– Get closer to nature – Whether on land or water, the Bahamas are home to a wide variety of tropical plants and animals such as : sea turtles, dolphins, nurse sharks, iguanas, flamingos, colored fishes and corals. And you can find them all in one place, Ardastra Gardens, the first zoo in the Bahamas where you will see more than 200 tropical animals.
– Walk these stairs – The Queen’s stairs were constructed in the late 18th century. It is a major landmark that is located in the Fort Fincastle Historic Complex in Nassau. It was hewn out of solid limestone rock by slaves between 1793 and 1794 and it is said that it provided a direct route from Fort Fincastle to Nassau City.
By: Catherine Maisonneuve, Lifestyle Editor