by Dick Nieuwendyk – Montreal Times
In the early nineteenth century the woodlands located on the mountain in the Trafalgar (Côte-des-Neiges and Le Boulevard) area belonged mostly to wealthy Montreal families. Some of these were the Smith, Ogilvie, McCulloch and Beaubien families, who build their country homes on either side of what is today Côte-des-Neiges Road. Trafalgar was the name given to a parcel of land that once belonged to John Ogilvie, who with other British merchants, built a column in Place Jacques-Cartier, commemorating the victory of Admiral Nelson at Trafalgar.
In 1848, two homes were built in this area, Trafalgar Cottage, now lost, and Trafalgar Lodge, which was built by Montreal architect John George Howard as a country estate for Albert Furness, a wealthy businessman. Located on a wooded corner lot in historic Westmount, the house, with its red brick and white trim, has a steeply forwarded hipped roof made up of gables, dormers and tall chimney stacks.
The one-and-a-half storey house blends religious and secular Gothic elements which makes it a beautiful example of Gothic Revival. Other elements of the Gothic Revival style includes the variety of window types, including arched and square windows, including full-height casement windows on the ground floor, decorative window mouldings, Tudor-arched openings, stained glass, and stone corner quoins.
The arched windows and rose windows are common in religious buildings, while the label mouldings are more secular in nature.
Trafalgar Lodge was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1990.