Like many of us, we are stuck at home as the world faces this pandemic in unified isolation. Covid-19 has truly been a challenging time across the globe and has ushered in major changes in different aspects of life. While some changes may be temporary, there are certain permanent shifts in industries such as fashion are inevitable. If there was ever a time for fashion to reinvent itself, it’s now! Personal style reveals who we are in an entirely unique way. For those just starting, look no further than the below six ways to reinvent your style:
1. KNOW YOURSELF – Style doesn’t always come easily for everyone and defining a particular look can be intimidating. Truth be told, there will never be an exact definition of personal style as there are chances where someone’s taste changes over time throughout the course of life. The first step when it comes to re-inventing your styles is to determine the persona you want to present to the world. No matter the path you choose to take, don’t be too hard on yourself as style is something you learn over time.
2. LOOK AND LEARN – With style, you ought to know what is happening around you. Being an expert at stalking or simply being an adept observer will do you lots of good. Relaying the style you have envisioned to your outfit, especially if you have never used it before, can be difficult at times. Pay special attention to what your favourite style icons are wearing and imagine yourself wearing the same outfit in your everyday life. If the answer is to the affirmative, note this look in your mental personal style book.
3. ACCENTUATE YOUR ASSETS – How to best express your style can be done by wearing clothes that make you feel your best. Focus on the areas that you love and pick elegant accessories to highlight them as this will boost your confidence. For instance, if you have long legs, it’s recommended to adorn those trendy Balenciaga strike booties with a short skirt to accentuate the legs. Fitting clothes that wear well makes you look more clean and flamboyant.
4. STOCK UP ON ESSENTIALS – Reinventing your style is much easier when you have the right wardrobe. It serves as the building blocks to your style. Wardrobe staples commonly referred to as “basics” are an absolute must as they are the base items that are the perfect starting point. The basics include jeans, t-shirts, blazers, camisoles and the list goes on. They are termed as “investment” that should be tailored perfectly to wear your body type to guarantee that every outfit looks amazing on you.
5. TRY NEW THINGS – For the newbies embarking on style, changing your look can be scary. More often than not, we feel nervous wearing outfits that are outside our norm. These insecurities are normal but it’s through breaking these boundaries that we find our ultimate style. Feel free to try new things as long as it makes you feel good about yourself.
6. IGNORE THE FADS – There is a huge difference between style and being “fashionable.” Style is never influenced by fluctuating tides in fashion. The goal of personal style is to adorn something that speaks to you and gives you comfort. This entails not becoming a slave to trends and creating an everyday look that has been curated to feed your taste and lifestyle.