Whether you prefer your Ice Cube in a glass or on your turntable, this new immersive experience provided by the W Montreal Hotel gives guests a chance to get a taste of the high life – with, of course, a few sips of Hennesey’s famous cognac in between. The “Sound Box x Hennessy” collaboration, running until March 2023, allows its patrons to indulge in a series of hand-crafted cognac cocktails–all while sampling from a diverse discography of hip-hop’s finest pressed vinyl.
Things to do in Montreal
From a delightfully spiced Hennesy and Ginger overture to a remixed Old Fashioned that brings a new school twist on an old-school favourite, the master mixologists at the W certainly know how to bring the part-ay. The laid-back yet inviting ambiance is reminiscent of a VIP backstage lounge, allowing lucky guests to relax and unwind under the glow of neon lights and the embrace of a state-of-the-art surround sound system.
Featuring exclusive memorabilia and portraits of some of rap music’s all-time greats, this lounge celebrates the genre’s unique relationship to good company, lavish living, and even better liquor. The evening crescendos to a delightful end – a chance to sample the highly coveted Hennessy X.O, a modern classic of rich and robust eaux-de-vie, retailing at $350 a bottle. Booking begins at $95 per person and includes three drinks, two hours of unlimited listening and a small tasting menu [at additional market pricing]. This Montreal W Hotel original, whether you’re a hip-hop head, a cognac connoisseur, or just in it for the vibes, has something for everyone. The question is: will you tune in?
To book your intimate and unforgettable experience click here.
By: Andrew Pinck & Patrick Dunlop – mtltimes.ca
The Dos and Don’ts of Making an Old Fashioned
- DO: Opt for a quality whiskey.
- DON’T: Dump a sugar packet in the glass.
- DO: Be tactful with bitters.
- DON’T: Add soda water.
- DON’T: Muddle your cherries.
- DO: Add an orange peel, if you’d like.
- DO: Use large ice cubes.
- DON’T: Shake the cocktail.
The Classic Old Fashioned recipe
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 ounces bourbon (or rye whiskey, if preferred)
- Garnish: orange twist
- Add the sugar and bitters into a mixing glass, then add the water, and stir until the sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Fill the mixing glass with ice, add the bourbon, and stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over one large ice cube.
- Express the oil of an orange twist over the glass, then drop into the glass to garnish.