Canella Salmon recipe Chef’s note: I love creating recipes with what I like. Tastes that are flavourable to me, my family and friends. Pasta is my passion among other foods. I enjoy cooking with O’Sole Mio pastas and having a nice glass of wine with my meals. This Salmon Cannella is no different. I uncovered this fragrant wine in Quebec that pairs great with my Canella, L’ENVOL Rose from Domaine Saint Basil. It is too bad the wine is not available outside of Quebec, yet. I hope you try this recipe…. divertiti a mangiare!
Canella Salmon recipe number of servings: 4
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Canella Salmon Ingredients:
- 4 Fresh Lasagna sheets
- 200g Fresh Salomon Filet (belly skin on)
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (XVOO)
- ½ Spanish onion diced
- 1 clove garlic (slithered)
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- ½ cup chives (sliced very thin)
- ½ cup fresh green scallions
- 250ml Sour cream 14%
- 40g Smoked Salmon slithered
- Salt & Black pepper
- ¼ cup Fresh blueberries
- 12 Tsp salmon Roe as garnish (1 per Canella)
- Fresh chopped herbs and an Herb bouquet or micro greens as garnish
• Place a pot of salted water to boil and cook the lasagna sheets, remove and set aside, the gluten and starches will cool and help with the rolling of the canella and shaping the stuffing.
• Remove the belly from the Salmon fillet and remove the skin from the belly (set aside for the skin garnish). Roughly cut up the salmon belly and season with salt and pepper.
• In a frying pan, add the XVOO, onion and garlic at medium heat and fry with very little browning, then add the salmon and cook completely. Set aside in a mixing bowl and let cool in the refrigerator.
Optional Garnish; Slice the salmon skin into ½ inch by 4 inch strips and season with salt and pepper wrap around a wooden spoon handle and bake at 350˚F/176˚C degrees until crispy and removable. Set aside.
• Remove mixing bowl with salmon ingredients and add the softened cream cheese, chives, scallions and taste for seasoning, always taste before the next step. mix together until consistent but chunky. We need the mixture to have texture.
• The lasagne sheets should now be perfect for rolling, Cut the bands in two-1/2 inches by 4 inches wide, add some of the mixture (2 tbsp. each) on the pasta and roll a each 1/2 inch in diameter canella. Set all aside in refrigerator.
• In a mixing bowl, add half of the slithered smoked salmon, sour cream, fresh herbs and season with salt and black pepper and then add the blue berries not to crush them.
• In a plate of your choosing add the finished dressing with some extra smoked salmon garnish (the colour just jumps out). Place three canellas per dish, then add the salmon roe to each of the peaks (as per the photo of thew dish). Add the pre-baked salmon skin springs and the micro or herbs bouquet.
N.B. I like to drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, or avocado oil and fresh cracked pepper to get this dish to the next level. Remember to always add a little twist to the dish by adding the ingredients you know you enjoy, make it your own.
Gerardo D’Amore is the “Food Maverick.” For Gerardo, food is a journey, in constant evolution in the pallet of taste and a simple and creative exercise of style. He has mastered the art of gastronomy. Gerado has an international background and is in demand for his skills and persona and has joined a list of exclusive international culinary personalities by hosting an ongoing International Travel and Culinary television series. Follow Gerardo on facebook, Instagram.