Just because it is -15 outside, curfew is still in effect and no restaurants are open there is still a silver lining, it’s zeppole season. We are in search of Montreal’s BEST zeppole. So please send us your choice here. For those of you who don’t know what Zeppole is? You are in for a treat and pay attention your life is about to change.
What is a zeppole?
Zeppole is basically an Italian doughnut made of pate choux dough that are cream filed. The basic ingredients are water / milk with butter, flour, eggs and lots of love. Then it is fried. It is usually around 4 inches in diameter.
Zeppoles are made for Saint Joseph’d Day March 19th. Italian bakeries make millions of these golden balls of love all over the world and we are in search for the best Zeppole in Montreal and need everyones help.
Please send us your favourite Italian Bakery that makes these delicious golden dessert. We will post all the bakeries with addresses and links to their websites.
Send your favourite bakery to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ricotta filled zeppole recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 pounds of ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 12 Maraschino cherries
Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. When boiling, add flour and stir until thoroughly mixed, for about 1 minute. Take off fire. Put into mixing bowl and cool for 10 minutes. Mixing at a low speed add 1 egg at a time allowing each egg to blend. Put dough into a pastry bag. Cut 12 pieces of wax paper into 3-inch squares and lightly dust with flour. Pipe a doughnut shape onto each piece of paper.
Heat oil to 350ºF. Carefully slide batter off the wax paper into the oil. Fry for 7 to 8 minutes turning every couple of minutes. Doughnuts should double in size. Allow to cool on absorbent paper. Slice horizontally.
Mix ricotta, sugar and vanilla extract in another mixing bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips and mix for 10 seconds. Put cream in pastry bag and fill center of each zeppole. Press the top of the pastry onto the bottom. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and place a cherry on top of each pastry.
This recipe is from Giao Italia.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- vegetable oil for frying
- powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, add the yeast, sugar and salt to the water. Let stand until creamy, about 2 minutes, and stir to dissolve the yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until a nice sticky dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours.
- In a deep saucepan, pour in vegetable oil to a depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil to 370 degrees (use a frying thermometer).
- Use two tablespoons to scoop out the dough and drop it into the hot oil, by using one spoon to push the dough off of the other. Do this for about 4 Zeppole at a time, do not crowd them in the pan. Cook until golden brown and puffy, turning with a slotted spoon to fry evenly on all sides.
- Remove the Zeppole from the oil with the slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate or tray lined with paper towels to drain. When all Zeppole are fried and drained sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve hot.
The recipe is from the Italian chef.