Getaway: Why not (re)discover Turks & Caicos?
Grace Bay Beach was named 2018 World’s Best Beach by Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards. So why not hop on a flight and come see it for yourself?
The famous stretches of uncrowded beaches and vibrant coral reefs of the islands of Turks and Caicos offers unique serenity, hospitality and beauty. They are also more accessible than you think.
The perfect itinerary in Providenciales :
The Turks and Caicos consist of 40 different islands and cays, only 8 of which are inhabited. From the main tourist center of Providenciales to the quiet and tranquil islands of North and Middle Caicos, each offers a different experience and a unique character but all offer year-round great climate, splendid beaches and fun underwater activities. Since the international airport is located in Providenciales, as is the “best beach in the world”, why not stay on the “main island” and plan a day trip (or two) to check out the other islands while you are there…
Most of the islands are only about 10 to 25 minutes away by air and can be reached by boat, too.
West Jet & Air Canada offer weekly direct flights to/from Toronto and also flights from Montreal (with a connection in Toronto Pearson) to Providenciales. The flight from Toronto is less than 4 hours, therefore it is possible to visit the island only for a short trip.
The very popular Club Med Turkoise, ideally located on Grace Bay Beach, just went through major renovations after Hurricane Irma hit the island in September 2017. After a complete makeover, the colourful adults-only all-inclusive resort reopened last Spring as a 4 Trident (4 stars) property. And it now looks better than ever.
What changed at Club Med Turkoise?
• The resort added a new room category with 92 new Deluxe rooms with balconies
• The pool was redesigned – the infinity-edge pool now offers ocean views and guests no longer have to leave the comfort of their lounge chairs for a drink with the convenience of a new poolside service.
• The food & beverage offer was upgraded – the resort’s main restaurant now features a new wraparound terrace with unobstructed sea views. A brand new wine cellar also offers premium selections of wine to enjoy on a private, open terrace. In addition, a brand new smoothie and coffee bar opened in the “beach bar grill” that also serves an all-day menu.
The must-do’s while on Providenciales:
- Take a scenic stroll on the powdery white sands of Grace Bay beach, voted #1 in the world
- Explore the ocean depths and gorgeous coral reefs in this snorkeler’s/divers’ paradise – one of the top wall-diving destinations in the world
- Visit at least one of the other islands (by boat or by plane) and remember that 8 of them are inhabited
- Go see the iguanas on “Iguana Island”, home to the islands’ remaining endangered population of rock iguanas. The Turks and Caicos National Trust leads efforts to protect the habitat, and it is just a short trip by boat from Providenciales.
In case you were still wondering, it is true what they say about Turks & Caicos : the water is really turquoise and the white-sand beaches are unbelievably beautiful. But don’t take my word for it. Go see it to believe it. And thank me later !
By Catherine Maisonneuve, Lifestyle Editor